On today's Daily Nugget Drew Thomas Hendricks reflects upon what it takes to make a great fish soup.
- Use a neutral-tasting firm fish like Alaska Cod
- Sautée the onions with one strip of bacon cut into 1-inch pieces. Subtlety is the key here. Resist the temptation to use more than one strip.
- Remove the skin from the tomato before dicing.
- Use a wine that is high in acid like a Bordeaux Blanc. Stay away from the oak.
- Use quality shellfish stock. I use a paella stock.
- Add the fish in the last 5 minutes cover the pot, simmer, and do not stir.
This is the stock that I use. (Image links to Amazon. non-affiliate)